Howdy Folks. Episode 3 is here a last. If you have already seen it, have I got a story for you. Well maybe not a GREAT story, but a story.
After posting this episode of the podcast I noticed that it wasn’t showing up in iTunes. I checked the developer website and lo and behold, a new version existed to fix my problem. Trouble was, it didn’t fix anything. It caused my podcast to stop working entirely. Not quite what I had in mind.
I have reverted back to a previous version and I am hoping it shows up in iTunes this time around. No guarantees though, so I will be watching it.
This time around I wanted to talk about the fine art of planning your story submissions. As you will learn, I have had some successes and some failures (although the successes have yet to translate into a sale). I also have my first comment (Yay!) although the commenter wonders why he should listen (boo, hiss :)).
As always, please send me your comments, questions and feedback. Enjoy.
Get Published, Episode 3 – Don’t Fail to Plan
00:00 — Opening – Get Published, Episode 3
- Everything has to start somewhere and this is the start of “Get Published”
0:14 — Introduction – Show #3: Don’t Fail to Plan
- Who is Michell Plested
- I got a personalized rejection and a request for a full manuscript
- Please vote in the poll
03:15 — Promos: Nina Kimberley the Merciless
05:03 — Show #3: Don’t Fail to Plan (continued)
- Feedback, Questions and Answers Segment
- Just who are you to be doling out advice anyway?
- Email podcast at michellplested dot com with your comments
06:54 — Promos: Weather Child
05:37 — Show #3: Don’t Fail to Plan (continued)
- What process do I follow when submitting stories?
- Learn the market (either through Market books or websites)
- Understand what my story is for genre and length
- Find a publisher who fits
- How long to respond, what genres, do they like new authors, agented?
- send multiple queries out to publishers (not actual submissions) NO SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS!
- better, send multiple queries out to publishers and agents (not actual submissions) NO SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS!
- start building audience while doing submissions (Podcast your story?)
20:34 — Promos: Dragon Moon Press
21:09 — Closing