I sent the final (?) edits for Mik Murdoch: The Power Within to my editor/publisher on Sunday. Since that time, I have been thinking of the things I have done and still need to do to move to the next level as an author.
So, let’s start with what I’ve done:
- I blog regularly on my website;
- I have been working to build my Social Media presence on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and other places;
- I have my first novel out;
- I have my first edited anthology out;
- I have stories in several anthologies;
- I have stories up on Wattpad;
- I podcast regularly (Get Published, in case you didn’t know);
- I’ve done sessions at several conventions;
- I’ve collaborated on a novel which was sold and should be out this year;
- I have done a handful of readings and appearances;
- I have done a few school visits and workshops (this year).
Looks like a pretty comprehensive list, doesn’t it? However, I still have not gotten myself out there as much as I want. The school visits and workshops have all been local. I need to get further away from home.
That being said, I have a few other things for next steps:
- More school visits/workshops. This time further afield (and close to home);
- All the other stuff in the first list;
- More general writer’s conventions that include the public. For example Word on the Street in Calgary and Lethbridge;
- Self-publish Boyscouts of the Apocalypse and start pimping it everywhere (hoping to take it to World Scout Jamboree next year where I can give it to youth as a gift);
- Find new ways to market/promote myself;
- More collaboration work with other authors.
The big challenge to all this will be finding the hours in the day to achieve it all.
Do you see anything missing that I could/should be doing? I’d love to hear from you.
Come on Dead Robots.
Would love to. Let me know what dates you are recording and I will find a hole in my calendar. 🙂